Money laundering regulations

New money laundering regulations was introduced by the UK government on December 15, 2007. This had a significant impact on the way UK company formation agencies conduct their business.

As a result, all UK company formation agencies are now subject to the Money Laundering Regulations 2007 (MLR) and supervised directly in these matters by HM Revenue & Customs. Mint is obliged under the government regulations to carry out proper due diligence and identification checks. This is essential for all customers with whom we establish an on-going business relationship. This means that in some cases we will be required by law to collect proof of identity from clients with respect to some of the services that we provide.

Whilst the formation of a limited company without any other additional services does not in itself constitute a requirement to carry out due diligence, we reserve the right to ask any client for proof of identity in compliance with the regulations (if we have any cause to do so).

This may especially apply where directors or shareholders of a company are resident outside the EU or are foreign nationals. As soon as we receive the order, we will immediately notify if we need any further information from you.

This AML (anti-money laundering) process is mandatory to all our clients who would buy services such as registered office, company secretary, business address service and any other on-going services. Where professional intermediaries such as accountants or solicitors use our service, who themselves are in a regulated sector, we may ask to rely on their respective due diligence regarding the on-going service.

Who needs to provide identification?
  • All persons named as directors
  • All persons holding 25% or more of the voting shares
  • The person placing the order (if not named as a director or shareholder)
  • If director or shareholder is a corporate entity then we apply the same procedure to each entity (to identify the controlling individuals)

Note: This information is required only for those who seek regular ongoing services (and in some special cases)

What identification proofs are accepted?

Two forms of identification are required. Please click here to find the acceptable forms of identification.